Monday, March 12, 2018

Chasing Lincoln’s Killers by James L. Swanson



My nine-year old son Daniel gave a presentation about Abraham Lincoln at school not that long ago.  When he saw Chasing Lincoln’s Killer in his book order, he really wanted to read it!  I have wanted to read the adult book, Manhunt by James L. Swanson since it came out so I was happy to get to read the young adult version with Daniel.

Chasing Lincoln’s Killers was a great book for both Daniel and myself.  The writing was superb and it sprinkled pictures throughout which Daniel and I both enjoyed.  The book took us from the assassination through the 12-day manhunt for John Wilkes Booth.  Daniel said it was a very interesting book and he learned a lot of new facts from it.  He says overall it was a very good book.

It’s been a long time since I read about Lincoln’s assassination and what happened afterwards and I found it very intriguing.  There were some holes for me as an adult.  The book focused mostly on John Wilkes Booth and didn’t give as much detail on the other people in the plot such as Mary Surratt.  I need to read the adult version to get more details.

Daniel was very intrigued by the book and didn’t want to stop reading it each night.  He did get a little freaked out though by the actual violence of the assassination of Lincoln and the attempted assassination of Secretary of State William Seward.  I’ll admit that I had totally forgotten about that!

Overall, Chasing Lincoln’s Killers was a fascinating look at a pivotal point in American history.

Book Source:  Ordered from Daniel’s Scholastic book order.

No comments:

Post a Comment