Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling



My eight-year old son Daniel is on a Harry Potter kick and got The Tales of Beedle the Bard from his book order.  I had never read it before.   I love the Harry Potter series but I never read any of the other side books J.K. Rowling wrote for charity.  

The Tales of Beedle the Bard is introduced as a collection of stories written for young wizards and witches, think the wizarding version of Grimm’s Fairy Tales.  This collection has a note on each story and its significance at the end by Professor Dumbledore.  One bad thing in the collection is that Daniel is on book five (and looks like he is stopping for now as he said the books are getting a little beyond him for reading, maybe next year he’ll finish up) and didn’t know what the future had in store for Professor Dumbledore, but the introduction of this book lets you know.  Beware!

There are five tales in this collection and I found them all to be delightful and Daniel enjoyed them too.  I love fairy tales and I loved that these stories seemed like an old tale that you had discovered that had been written for the magical community.  I just wish there were more in the collection!

Overall, this is a good addition to the world of Harry Potter and something that any lover of fairy tales would love.  Just beware that the introduction includes information that will spoiler the young reader if they haven’t read the entire Harry Potter series yet.

Book Source:  Purchased from the Scholastic Book Order

No comments:

Post a Comment