Thursday, November 19, 2015

Sit! Stay! Speak! By Annie England Noblin



Addie Andrews has left Chicago to her late Aunt’s home in Eunice, Arkansas after her beloved Aunt’s death.  Her plan is to fix up the home and sell it.  She also has experienced a personal tragedy back in Chicago and wants to be somewhere far away from it.  Shortly after moving to Eunice, Addie comes across a dog wounded and left for dead in a garbage bag.  After rushing him to the vet, Addie makes a new friend in the sassy red headed vet technician Wanda and also meets the handsome lawyer turned farmer Jasper Floyd.

Addie names her new dog Felix and she discovers that he is a scared, gentle, and loving pit bull dog.  Not satisfied with being told to leave this matter alone, Addie starts her own investigation to determine who would do such a thing to a pit bull.  All roads lead back to the town bully and more danger for Addie.  Addie also tries to overcome her past to learn how to trust and start new relationships both romantic and for friendship.  She is very frustrated by the mixed signals she gets from the attractive Jasper Floyd.  Will Addie find happiness?  Will she discover who hurt Felix?  Will she figure out what she wants to do with her future?

I love animals, fixing up old houses, cooking, and friendships and this book had all of that for me.  It also had a good hero in Jasper.  I also loved the mystery of what happened to Felix.  There were a lot of great characters around the Southern town of Eunice that I loved to read about.  The only downside is that I felt the story did meander awhile without focusing on where things were going.  I started to get annoyed by our hero and his holding back of his feelings, although it was all explained at the end.

Overall, this is a good mystery with great characters, romance, and dogs.  A perfect book to read when you are inside for the winter.

Book Source:  Review Copy from William Morrow – Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I have a soft spot for animals and can't stand to see them mistreated. I'm going to look for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, this sounds like a touching book. I hate when animals are abused. It is so wrong.

    (I've been out of town but am now back; I'm now trying to "catch up" with my blogging.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are back Suko - I missed reading your blog and your comments on my blog!

    This is a good book, I love books about animals and also hate when they are abused. It's a good story of a dog making a comeback and the abuser getting what they deserve!

    ReplyDelete