Monday, April 23, 2012

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Death Du Jour is the April book club pick for the Kewaunee Library Book Club.  The Kewaunee Library Book Club loves mysteries and Death Du Jour is an interesting one.  Dr. Temperance Brennan is a Forensic Anthropologist that teaches at a University in Charlotte, North Carolina, and also works in Montreal during her breaks.  It is during the harsh winter in Quebec that Brennan helps to discover the bones of Sister Elisabeth Nicolet, a candidate for sainthood, and also discovers a gruesome mass murder at a burning chalet.  The mass murder becomes a larger web of lies that envelopes Brennan’s entire life.  She works with sexy Detective Andrew Ryan to solve the mystery.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was a fast paced murder mystery and I really enjoyed the anthropological insights.  I’ll admit that we didn’t discuss it too in depth at book club today as one member did not read it.  Death Du Jour is the second book in a series, but it was a good stand-alone novel.
I’ve loved being a part of the Kewaunee Library book club for the past six years, but I’m starting a new job in Green Bay in two weeks and will be unable to make the lunch time meetings.  I’m very sad, but I’ve enjoyed the company of my fellow book club members and the great books!
SPOILER ALERT:  There is a scene where Brennan thinks that her cat, Birdie, has been murdered.  She is ecstatic to discover Birdie alive, yet the rejoicing over the cat rings hollow after all of the human death that keeps piling up in the book.  And I love cats. This is my only negative about Death du Jour SPOILER END
Book Source:  The Kewaunee Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment