Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger

Corcoran (Cork) O’Conner has been having a bad few years. He was once Sheriff of Aurora, Minnesota, but after an unfortunate incident, he was recalled. Since the incident, relations with his wife Jo have been strained to the point that he has moved out and has a new girlfriend, Molly. When Eagle Scout Paul LeBeau doesn’t return home after his paper route one day, his panicked mother calls Cork for help. Cork discovers that the last place Paul stopped was Judge Robert Parrant’s house, and the Judge has committed suicide. Cork thinks the suicide is suspicious and starts to investigate. The investigation turns deadly with Cork’s place getting ransacked and himself getting beaten up, more unfortunate murders in town, all of the dirty town secrets coming out to play, and there is also a thrilling snowmobile chase.

Iron Lake is the first novel in the Cork O’Conner mystery series. I have read later books in the series, but I decided to go back and read book one to see how it all started. I recommended it to my Kewaunee Library Book Club and it was our selection this month. It got the book club stamp of approval as all of our members thoroughly enjoyed it. One member has even read several more books in the series already.

I really enjoyed this novel. It was a fast read, but complex and enjoyable mystery. The characters are fantastic and are well developed. It is interesting to note that Krueger is (or has been) a marriage counselor and he was able to write an intriguing and true to life story of a multifaceted and troubled marriage. I also love the northern Minnesota setting and the language used to describe it. It was brought to life vividly. It seemed very realistic for a small rural northern town.

Overall, Iron Lake was a great mystery that will keep you up long in the night to discover how it ends!

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

6 comments:

  1. Nice review Laura. I've never heard of this series before but it certainly sounds like one to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read this for my mystery group about a year ago. I agree with your review. It's a good mystery with great secondary characters and interesting dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed - hope the rest of the series is just as good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book and reviewed it earlier this year. I'm planning on reading other books in the series because it was definitely a keeper. Glad to know that your book group liked it. We talked about reading it for my group but I think that most of us have already read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often learn about new books on your blog, Laura, including this one. This sounds like a mystery series well worth reading--and staying up late for. Thanks for your well-written review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I've got it on my TBR list.

    I just want to mention that I'd comment more often, but I usually read your blog on my break and can't comment from work. So I am reading, even if I don't comment.

    ReplyDelete