Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (audio)

I finished this audiobook just in time, the morning I received An Echo in the Bone. I was very glad to receive An Echo in the Bone as the ending of A Breath of Snow and Ashes left me wanting more. Four years after I first read A Breath of Snow and Ashes while suffering from extremely bad morning sickness with my first son, I will finally get to read the continuation of the story. Can you tell I’m excited?

A Breath of Snow and Ashes is a riveting read. While The Fiery Cross was a slower book that dwelled on the wonderful details of life in the eighteenth century, A Breath of Snow and Ashes gets back into the action. Kidnapping and daring rescues are included for several key plot points. There is also more on the mysterious Jacobite golden treasure and Claire discovers another traveler from the future. The action continues right up to the end of the novel!

I love the description in Gabaldon’s novels. One of my favorite things is her detailed descriptions of the scientific experiments of Claire and Brianna to create things that we take for granted. I’m an engineer and I love the scientific detail! I love how Gabaldon’s background is in science. I have also always been a fan of novels of pioneer life, and I enjoy the story of how Jamie, Claire and the other inhabitants of Fraser’s Ridge carve their lives out of the wilderness.

I once again listened to the abridged version of the novel read by Geraldine James. She did a fantastic job and the music was very good. I am glad I listened to the abridged version as I only finished the book up right before I received my copy of An Echo in the Bone. As I have stated on previous reviews, the abridged versions in no way compare to the actual full length novels and leave out many important details. They are a good refresher for those who have read and loved the novels. I need to listen to the full length audiobooks one of these days as well as actually reread all of the novels.

SPOILER ALERT. My favorite scene of this book is when Jamie rescued Claire from Hodgepile’s gang. I loved the entire scene from the drumming in the woods to the vengeance that Jamie takes on the men. From the description, you could see a highland army of men mysteriously in the woods wrecking havoc on the kidnappers. It was frightening, and riveting.

8 comments:

  1. Another well-written review! I'm intrigued by this author--so many people love her work--but must admit that Outlander is still on my TBR stack.

    Laura, I received The Blue Star in the mail today--thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the view. It definiely sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still ont hte Fiery Cross. Need to get my reading in gear. Love Claire and Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who loves these above all other literature, and I have yet to read Outlander (although I admit I've cheated and read parts of it, take a guess at which). I know I'll like this series.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, my favorite scene was when Claire was rescued as well - and the beating of the drums - thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved this book as well. Acutally, it ranks up there as one of my favorites of this series.
    When Jamie rescues Claire is a very memorable scene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but was convinced by Joanne at Slice of Life to give them a second look. I haven't read any of the spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did Bree, Roger & son go back through the stones to Scotland at the end?..Previously, a connection at the other end was needed? I've forgotten & it's been annoying me! I've been re-reading previous novels to find out! Too much detail for me. Some of the sex adds nothing to the story at all & I'm longing for some CLOSURE for Claire & Jamie!

    ReplyDelete