Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

I reread Twilight last week for my new FLICKS Book and Movie Club. My original review and synopsis can be read here. I still greatly enjoyed the book during my second reading. The story really draws you in and is hard to put down! My club meets tonight at my house to discuss and watch the movie - it should be fun!

When I read the story this time, I was trying to look at it from several different angles. I keep reading on blogs and in comments that Stephenie Meyer does not write well. I’m not really sure where that is coming from. Meyer writes a very engaging story. Two of my friends in book club were sucked in by the book and are reading the rest of the series now. The books are meant for teens so they are not adult books with deep literary themes – but they weren’t meant to be.

I’ve also heard the complaint that Bella is weak and Edward is controlling. I got the opposite picture reading the book on Bella. She is very strong and is able to hang out with an entire vampire family – which is kind of a scary situation! Also the set-up at the end of the book is because Bella wants to save her mother instead of staying in a safe place. Edward is a bit controlling at times, but it is because he cares deeply for Bella. She sticks up for herself too and doesn’t let him totally take charge of her life.

Personally I think it is rather sexy that Edward is caring and very decisive. My husband is strong-willed and decisive, which I love. But he definitely doesn’t control me!

I really like the teen angst in the book. Although I am an old lady of 31, I remember many of the feelings that Bella had in the book when it comes to trying to fit in, being clumsy and first love. I think it is really this ability to identify with the heroine as well as the engaging story that makes this such a must read for so many people.

My favorite quote:

“Of three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him – and I didn’t know how potent that part might be – that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”

I highly recommend this novel!

6 comments:

  1. And still I dig in my heels and refuse to jump into this phenomenon. Don't know why. Maybe my daughter and I should read it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with the critics, there are legions of Stephenie Meyer fans. Glad you enjoyed the book. While I haven't read it, my daughter devoured the series and we saw the movie together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read and reread this series many times! It's pure unadulterated candy for me! Though, Robert Pattinson as Edward in the movies just doesn't do it for me....grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read them yet but I will plan on it once I finish the other several on my list!
    I found your blog browsing and I have been finding more and more great blogs dedicated to books and people who love to read. I am an aspiring novelist myself and am trying to expand my blog followers. I am hoping once I am able to do that I might be able to get interviews with authors I like and help promote them. Possibly even do contests! If you're interested in helping me out, please follow me as I will follow you. Sorry if this comes off as shameless self promotion. I hope to read more updates! Thank you so much, Aleece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your take, Laura, about Bella being strong enough to bravely hang out with an entire vampire family! I resisted this series until earlier this summer and was surprised to become so completely engrossed in it. That is until Austen drew me away from delving into the final book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I love the Twilight series. I agree with you that Edward is not controlling. The guy is uber strong, can read people's minds and is fast even for a vampire. He COULD be very controlling, but after reading all four books, I have to say he gives into Bella's will way too many times to be in any way dominating. I think Meyer is a great author too. If only I had half her talent. Sigh. Anyway, I love your review. And I have an award for you on my blog. I think it's a new one you haven't recieved yet. Hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete