Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Today in Pop Culture - Sea Monsters, Bridget Jones, and Twilight

I'll admit. I am a nerd. The first thing I did this morning was to log onto Facebook and check out Quirk Classics announcement about their new title, the follow-up to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I was vastly entertained to see the new title is Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and enjoyed the book trailer. I also enjoyed reading about it on ew.com. I can't wait to read it when it comes about in September, although I am sad that the author of P&P&Z (Seth Grahme) will not be back for this novel. I'm also wondering why they didn't pick Persuasion for the sea monster theme. With all of the naval talk and Bath setting, it seems like it would have been perfect!

I also read on ew.com that there is talk of a THIRD Bridget Jones movie staring Renee Zellweger. Please no more! While I LOVED the first movie and both books, the second movie was not very good. It really lost the point of the second novel paralleling Persuasion in my opinion. I really hope this movie is not made. Focus on something new and exciting instead!



Two other points of interest were a sneak peak at the Twilight graphic novel. I can't wait to read this and I also can't wait to look at more illustrations that will be in this week's Entertainment Weekly. There is also a post on Entertainment Weekly trying to start a fight between Harry Potter fans and Twilight fans. I am a fan of both series. Why can't we love them both and not compare? One does not have to be better than the other! Stop the violence! My own personal Twilight news is that I have succeeded in getting two of my friends in my new book club obsessed with Twilight. The highlight of my day was one of my friends telling me how she stole her daughter's teen magazine to read about New Moon and look at the pictures. :-)

That's all for now - I hope everyone is having a great day!

9 comments:

  1. Some good (or at least not Bridget Jones movie related) news: Aprilynne Pike's newly-released novel Wings is set to become a movie starring...Miley Cyrus. No joke. It's a good book, so we'll have to see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Celia, Miley Cyrus??? I've seen her Hannah Montana show and she has a hard time acting as herself let alone another character! Yikes indeed!

    To Laura, I'm very excited for Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters as well! Keep those reviews comin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently discovered graphic novels. The idea of a graphic Twilight sounds intriguing (I didn't read the Twilight saga but saw the movie).

    You'll have to let me know what you think about Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to see Twilight as a Graphic Novel.

    Great post! Stop by sometime - I have an award for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS just saw what you are currently reading - how is it! I saw the movie a couple weeks ago and thought it looked interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a Potter and a Twilight fan as well... but oh dont make me choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, I mention your blog today in my post--hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yesss, good stuff in ew for the july 17 and 24 issues. i agree. i love both harry and twilight series equally. also agree in regards to bridget jones. the first was enough for me. here's another fun one i've heard coming out...
    Murder at Mansfield Park
    http://www.thebookseller.com/news/91899-beautiful-books-gets-its-own-classic-mash-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm . . .Murder at Mansfield Park does look interesting. I'll have to check that out when it comes out!!

    ReplyDelete