Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard

The Pale Blue Eye was my Kewaunee Library Book Club pick for March. While it had a slow start, the book definitely picked up and had a fantastic ending that totally surprised me. I love when you can't see the ending coming!!

This novel is a mystery set at the West Point Academy in 1830. A cadet has been murdered and his heart removed. Augustus Landor, a local retired investigator originally from New York, is called in to help solve the crime. He recruit a cadet, one Edgar Allen Poe, to help him solve the mystery deep within the heart of West Point.

Overall I enjoyed the novel. It was not a quick mystery, but I enjoyed the characters, particularly Poe. You won't know who the killer is until the last page. Bravo - I love a good mystery!

I liked Bayer's The Black Tower more than this novel though if I had to pick only one to read. One of this days I will have to read Bayer's Mr. Timothy, it looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment