Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was an okay movie. It was the story of a composer named Peter who has been dating Sarah Marshall, the star of a CSI like drama for the past five years. His world is shattered when Sarah breaks up with him (while he is naked) for a British rocker. Peter travels to Hawaii to forget Sarah, but discovers she is staying at the same resort with her new boyfriend. Peter makes new friends including the receptionist, Rachel.

I liked several aspects of the movie including:

1. Male nudity. Well, I didn't like it that much - but was happy that they were showing a man and not just a naked lady like most movies.
2. Relationships from a caring, sensitive male point of view. It was nice to have the story of a nice guy on screen.
3. Three dimensional characters. I really liked all of the leads characters - they were really well developed and realistic.
4. Complicated relationships. Sarah may seem like a witch at first, but flashbacks and conversations show that Sarah and Peter's relationship had been fraught with difficulties that had come to a head.

I'm sure there were more things I liked, but for some reason I just couldn't get into this movie. Maybe I am over the whole gross-out comedies of late. Or maybe there was too much sensitive guy with Peter and his weepiness. I'm not sure what it was about it . . .did anyone else feel the same as me and find themselves wanting to love the movie, but falling short?

No comments:

Post a Comment