Sunday, September 9, 2007

Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter

My reading of Jane Austen spin-offs continues. I finished Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter last night.

This novel is set in present day New York City, where Emily Albright works in a bookstore in New York City and dreams of meeting Mr. Darcy. Her only dates all are losers who do not show the common curtisies that a Mr. Darcy would extend. Forced with spending New Year's Eve alone or on a 18-30 vacation in Mexico with her best friend, Emily rashly decides to go on a literature lovers tour of Jane Austen's England. While in England she meets Mr. Darcy and Spike Hargreaves, a reporter on the trip writing an article on why Mr. Darcy has won the title of the Man Most Women Would Love to Date. Spike and Emily don't get along and have a story that parallels that of Elizabeth and Darcy in P&P.

I thought this novel was mediocre at best. The secondary characters were not well flushed out and I was very confused on Emily's meetings with Mr. Darcy. Were they real or imaginary? I never really felt it was resolved at the end. I didn't think her meetings with him were that great either. The book could have actually done without them. I much prefered Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict to this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment